Sunday, October 4, 2009

An Internet Business Gone Wrong

My internet business went terribly wrong. Shall I tell you the story? Yes. Shall I speak to you in old English? No. Sorry about the "shalls".

It was an unfortunate mix of Alibaba.com, a scam artist in India, some flash drives, and China. But I think I am getting a bit ahead of myself. Let me back up.

I had a business class where we had the great opportunity to learn how to and actually start up an internet business. I was so excited! I went into hyper-business-obsession mode (much to my wife's dismay) and researched all sorts of stuff. Wedding rings, photography, blogs, i-pods, services, flash drives... wait, stop right there. Flash drives. That was it.

I had seen flash drives for super cheap on alibaba, and decided to look into buying them. Let me make a short story long by telling you that I found a great supplier from India who had connections with a factory in China to sell me some fantastic 32GB Kingston flash drives for only $15 a drive! Too good to be true, right? Right.

I bought them. 100 of them. If you struggle with math that's $1500. Now that I made the short part of my story long, I will make the long part of my story short. They were fake. The guy in India with great connections in China was a scam. I never saw my money again. The flash drives were faulty. China was still China. To sum it up, it stunk.

Lesson Learned: Dudes (especially outside the country dudes) that claim to be selling something or doing something that just seems too good to be true are. There is a reason they call it "too good to be true", it is.


The good news is I bought a few real flash drives just to get the business really running, and the business failed for real. At least this time it was legitimate failure.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that stinks! I almost got scammed. Made me feel really stupid once I realized all the obvious red flags I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't let that get you down you just have to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bunch of 64GB flash drives for $14 each. You're sure to make a killing. Just send me a check. I mean send me cash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DALAN!! I'm so sorry! It's okay though because really they'll pay for it in the END!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed. I cried. Don't beat yourself up. Life's greatest lessons are learned through experience. You are sure to have some more failures before your great success. Something to look forward to. =) Failure cultivates success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am sorry that happened. Knowing you, you brushed yourself off and jumped right back into the saddle. Well, chock it up as lesson learned and now you know for next time.

    ReplyDelete